This year’s Africa Day on 25 May commemorated the 57th anniversary of 32 leaders’ establishment of the Organisation of African Unity, today the African Union.
In marking the holiday, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa described Africa’s COVID-19 response as “evidence of a continent determined to leverage its strengths and capabilities to resolve its own challenges.”
What measures to combat the pandemic have been taken by Zambia and its neighbours’ public and private sectors, and how informed are you about them? Take this multiple-choice quiz and find out.
1. How many African countries had closed their borders by early May?
2. Which mining company built an isolation facility for the community around its mine, equipped with an Intensive Care Unit (ICU), as part of a $400,000 contribution towards combatting COVID-19?
3. How much longer did South Africa’s strict lockdown measures continue than originally planned?
4. How many countries across the continent have made wearing face masks in public compulsory?
5. Which countries have expedited payments of all outstanding VAT refund claims in order to address businesses’ widespread cash flow challenges?
Read ‘How are Zambia’s neighbours responding to COVID-19’s economic impact?’ to learn more about the economic measures that countries are taking in line with OECD and African Tax Administration Forum guidance.
17. Which mining company is funding the provision of medical equipment at the national level to the value of $340,000?
Africa’s COVID-19 game-plan
Better luck next time! Why not follow our Facebook or Twitter pages to get the latest in Zambian mining news? You can also sign up at miningforzambia.com for free weekly content!
Looks like you're pretty informed - and perhaps you're a loyal reader too! Be sure to follow our Facebook and Twitter pages to keep up to date with the very latest in Zambian mining news, or sign up at miningforzambia.com for free weekly content!
Wow, you know your stuff! Don't forget to share your score with your friends on Facebook and Twitter, and thank you for reading!
You're extremely knowledgable about Africa's COVID interventions, well done! Don't forget to share your score with your friends on Facebook and Twitter, and thank you for reading!
Mining for Zambia is an industry website aimed at promoting a better understanding of the Zambian mining industry. It highlights key industry issues, and shares information about mining and its contribution to the economy and society. All the content, except for external news items, is free for use.